Sunday, March 14, 2010

Why It Feels So Hard To Write In English?

Why It Feels So Hard To Write In English?
Why it feels so hard writing in English? Simple answer to that question is because I live in a non-English speaking community. So English is not my daily language. It’s my other (second) language. Second? Not exactly too. My second language is my national language. The first words I learned when I first able to talk is my local, mother tongue language. I am a bi-linguist. I speak in my local and national language.

We are a nation of hundreds of ethnic groups, each having its own specific language and culture. Even we have ‘foreign’ speaking people among us. They’re Chinese. This is something that I truly pride of. But at the downside I hardly express my thoughts and feelings in English.

When can I speak in English? Hardly got a chance. I speak daily in my local language with families and relatives and when I meet others I speak in my national language. Local language is used in our informal dearly expressing feelings. Formal conversations mostly delivered in national language.

I guess the hard things I find in expressing thoughts and feelings in English is the lack of practicing. This is something that for a long time had been there in my mind. I read a lot, not only books or texts written in our language but also in English. I got no as much serious difficulties in doing this as in writing or speaking. Reading gives me more time to process the information I try to grab and understand. It’s not ad-lib. But in the way backwards, expressing out whatever I’ve got in my mind, obstacles come up.

This is my first serious trying of writing in English. Hope you, if happened to read this, may get the point I try to deliver. Please leave your comment.
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Why It Feels So Hard To Write In English?"

Post a Comment